– Cooking oil
– Whole chicken (skin on- rinsed and dressed)
– 2-3 Onions (quartered- skin on)
– 1 bulb Garlic (halved – skin on)
– 4-5 Carrots (roughly quartered)
– 1/2 Cup Celery, finely chopped
– 5 sprigs Thyme
– 250 Ml Dunkleweizen (pour into a glass and keep open at room temperature for an hour or two to make flat)
– 2 Cups Chicken stock
– 3 Tbsp Butter
– To taste Sea salt
1.Preheat oven to 220 degrees C.
2.In a greased oven tray line the carrots, celery, onions, garlic and thyme.
3. Place the chicken on the tray and grease with oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
4. Roast the chicken for 1.5 hours or till the juices run clear. Remove from the tray and reserve/rest.
5. While the chicken is resting, pour the Dunkelweizen into the tray turn the oven to the highest heat setting and let it bubble for five minutes.
6. Remove the tray from the oven and transfer all contents to a saucepan before adding in the chicken stock and the butter.
7. Reduce the mixture of the beer, and chicken stock till it coats a spoon, adjust the salt.
8. Serve with buttery mashed potatoes.